Monday, July 14, 2014

We Take Pictures With Our Eyes

What I've recently realized is that Kodak moments are not captures but posed or created. We create a lot of our experiences to document them, It’s an uncanny feeling holding a camera as someone tells me to capture them having fun. What’s worse, few of my pictures were at the climax of the time, most of them were posed – when we were least having fun. Embarrassingly enough, most of my pictures on Facebook were either created out of pure boredom, for proof, or for showing off. Most pictures are taken to show how we looked, where we were, what we were doing, but they’re rarely incidental.  I mean if something truly amazing is happening, who in the room is going to pick up the camera? I just wonder why we are so obsessed with taking all these pictures and videos and editing them and compiling them when few of our products will be significant after we’re gone.
Pictures aren't all that bad. I can think of a few reasons as to why you should pick up your camera – for future generations, to aid in telling stories, to capture the scenery, for the purpose of art, for journalistic reasons, for fashion etc.  I understand Snapchat as it is my main form of communication and sharing pretty pictures with friends through Instagram and Facebook. Look, I completely understand.
Where I’m going to depart that understanding, however, is how much we emphasize those pictures. Imagine the centuries that have passed, all the lives lived without a single photograph taken. Think about all the miracles, celebrations, joyful experiences that went undocumented. It’s no coincidence that the best moments in my life never made it on to Facebook and Instagram. So stop spending so much time taking them, you might actually miss out.
Taking pictures is no crime. Take them but don’t spend so much time creating the moment, posing, editing, and posting. Unless you’re doing it for photography. I don’t need to give you a lesson on how precious time is.  For those true “Kodak” moments, I’m not blinking and I’m taking pictures with my eyes instead.


Stop posing and vivez votre vie!

Votres,
Viv

No comments:

Post a Comment